With the new ActiveReports Silverlight support, you can create and preview reports in the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer.
You should license your ActiveReports6 Silverlight project so that no evaluation banners appear at runtime. You can find information on licensing ActiveReports 6 Silverlight in License Your ActiveReports under To license an ActiveReports6 Silverlight project.
Below you can find information on the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer properties and feature limitations.
|Note: Microsoft Silverlight 4 Tools is required for the proper application development with the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer.|
Silverlight Viewer Toolbar
|Show TOC/Thumbnails||Displays the Table of Contents and a pane with thumbnail views of pages in the Viewer.|
|Displays the Print dialog where you can specify the printing options. The maximum value for the print range is 2000 pages.|
|Search||The Find option of the Silverlight Viewer.|
|Zoom||Specifies the Zoom level at which to display the report.|
|Zoom modes||Selects a mode for displaying the report. Select from Page width or Whole page.|
|View Type||Allows you to specify the page view type. Select from Single or Continuous.|
|Go to page||Opens a specific page in a report. To view a specific page, type the page number and press ENTER.|
|Go to Previous/Next page||Navigates a report page by page.|
|Go to First/Last page||Opens the first or last page of a report.|
Silverlight Feature Limitations
- Metafiles are not supported.
- Limitations on printing:
- The ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer does not provide the one-touch printing option.
- The maximum value for the print range is 2000 pages.
- The exceptions that occur at printing to PDF cannot be caught.
- Vertical text is not supported in the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer.
- ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer does not support the text strikeout effect, character spacing and text justification.
- Horizontal and vertical text of MS PMincho and some other ideographic characters may render incorrectly in the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer.
- The use of the Silverlight Viewer control in layout panels has a limitation related to the default size of the panel.
- The multipage mode is not available in the ActiveReports Silverlight Viewer.
- To display a report with annotations in the Thumbnails view correctly, hide the Thumbnails view by clicking the Show TOC/Thumbnails icon in the Toolbar and then open the report in the Silverlight Viewer.
- The Silverlight Viewer size may get changed at runtime when the Zoom level is increased or decreased. This happens because the properties HorizontalAlignment is set to Left and VerticalAlignment is set to Top automatically when the Viewer control is dragged onto the Design view of MainPage.xaml. However, when both properties are set to the control's default values Stretch, the Viewer keeps constant despite the Zoom scale.
- Some Silverlight properties and events are not supported in XAML. However, you can still use these properties by setting them in code as follows:
Copy Code (viewer1 as System.Windows.Controls.Control).FontStyle = FontStyles.Italic;Properties
- Font Family
- Font Size
PDF Printing in Silverlight
You can provide PDF printing in your Silverlight project, which allows to print a document from Silverlight to the PDF format directly. This is a good alternative to the default Silverlight printing with its large print spool size issue.
|Note: When you print to PDF, the exceptions that occur at printing cannot be caught. Thus, if there is a printing exception, no Print dialog appears after clicking Print in the Silverlight Viewer toolbar.|
See Provide PDF Printing in the Silverlight Viewer about how you can print a report from the Silverlight Viewer to the PDF format.
Note: PDF printing is not supported in the Silverlight Out-of-Browser applications.