If you are new to the .NET platform, you might be unfamiliar with how to start a new project using a component. To use the Spread for Windows Forms product, you need to add the component to a project in Visual Studio .NET.
Return to the overview of Working with the Component.
The first step is to create a new project in Visual Studio .NET, and to add a Spread for Windows Forms component to the project.
- Start Visual Studio .NET.
- From the File menu, choose New, Project.
- In the New Project dialog, in the Project Type area, select a project type depending on the language environment in which you are developing. For example, in the Project Types list, choose Visual C# Projects.
- In the New
- In the Project Types list, choose Visual C# Projects or Visual Basic Projects depending on the language you are using.
- In the Templates list, choose Windows Application.
- In the Name box, type the name of the new project. The default is WindowsApplication1 for the first Windows Forms application.
- In the Location box, leave the location path as the designated path, or click Browse to change the path to a new directory.
- Click OK.
- In the Solution Explorer, right-click on the form name, Form1. Choose Rename from the pop-up menu, then type the new form name you prefer for the new form name.
If your project does not display the Solution Explorer, from the View menu, choose Solution Explorer.
The next step is to add the Spread component to the tool box. This only has to be done once.
- If the Toolbox is not displayed, from the View menu choose Toolbox.
- Once the Toolbox is displayed, look in the GrapeCity Spread category (or in any other category if you have installed Spread and placed the toolbox icon in a different category).
- If the Spread component is not in the Toolbox, right-click in the Toolbox, and from the pop-up menu choose Customize Toolbox, Add/Remove Items, or Choose Items (depending on the version of Visual Studio).
- In the Customize Toolbox dialog, click the .NET Framework Components tab.
- In the .NET Framework Components tab, the Spread component (in the FarPoint.Win.Spread namespace) should be displayed in the list of components. Select the Spread component check box and click OK. Select fpChart (FarPoint.Win.Chart namespace) for the chart control.
- You can test that the component has been added by opening a project and inserting the component.
If the Spread component is not displayed in the list of components, click Browse and browse to the installation path for the Spread for Windows Forms component. Once there, select the FarPoint.Win.Spread.dll and click Open. The Spread component is now displayed in the list of components. Select it and click OK. Select FarPoint.Win.Chart.dll for the chart control.
The next step is to add the Spread component to a project.
- With an open project, in the Toolbox under Windows Forms (or whatever category to which you added it), select the Spread component.
- On your Windows Forms page, draw a Spread component by dragging a rectangle the size that you would like the initial component or simply double click on the page.The Spread component appears.
Your project should now look similar to the picture show here.
You have added the Spread component to the project.